About Me

My photo
I just turned 30, I feel all wise and old now.

Popular Posts

Pageviews last month

Powered by Blogger.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012

It's International Babywearing Week Ya'll!

Happy Babywearing Week!!!

If you haven't heard, babies are the latest fashion accesories. Things that may go out of style usually come back in style a little while later. Some of those fashion statements are so ill designed that I really wish they'd never come back, unfortunately even terrible things like high tops and crimped hair show back up.
In the case of 'wearing' a baby, this is a practice that has been done from the beginnings of time and it has only gotten better. 

I grew up in Mexico city and I remember seeing indigenous women with their babies strapped onto their back while selling knick knacks in Coyoacan. I became a mom 16 months and 3 days ago and I can now say that those indigenous women were onto something brilliant. 
My son didn't sleep for the first few weeks, I lie, he did sleep. Unfortunately, he slept at all the wrong times.
I figured out that he would sleep if he was on me though, and so I pulled the Moby wrap that I received as a gift and started wrapping. 
My first couple of attempts weren't so successful, he would cry even before I could put him in the wrap, so I followed the instructions and as long as he was fed and had a clean diaper before I put him in the wrap, then he was a happy baby for HOURS!!! Yes, you read right, HOURS!!!


This picture was taken with my phone when he was 5 days old. And so our babywering journey began.

We live in South Texas, so the Moby was just too hot if I wasn't in a place with AC at full blast, so when we went outside I used a stretchy homemade wrap, the fabric was a lot more breathable than the heavy knit of the Moby. This became our wrap of choice- he loved riding Kangaroo style on mommy. Grocery store, bank, mall, the fair, you name it, we were there. 
This was taken at the Comal Co. Fair in 2011 He was barely 4 months old in the picture. He was able to look around and enjoy the view. Using a stroller would have been nearly impossible, it was so crowded!
Now that I look back at pictures, I can see that the shoulder is not spread out quite right, live and learn... live and learn.

Once the kiddo started putting on the pounds these stretchy carriers were not the best option for us. They were getting uncomfortable, saggy.
It was time to move on to the big leagues. I didn't know what type of carrier to get so I asked one of the my friends from  the local natural parenting group. She was kind enough to meet me and let me borrow her Kozy. 
I loved that thing! It allowed us to keep moving and it was so much easier to use than the stretchy fabric.
I decided to get something else, but still appreciated the comfort and ease of the Kozy Mei Tai. 
We splurged and bought a Boba.


BEST 10 YEAR ANNIVERSARY GIFT EVER!!!!


              






These pictures were taken during our family vacation. We went hiking in Tennessee and South Carolina and enjoyed some ice cream in Georgia. I even went bowling with my son on my back, unfortunately that didn't improve my score (although it didn't really hurt it either), but I can't find a picture. 
The pic at the bottom is epic, we were in a tunnel and it was super dark in there, that is until the flash went off. Look at my eyes!

I am pregnant again and I will soon be getting a wrap. My inlaws recently traveled to Germany and just happened to be staying about 15 minutes from the Didymos store. I will be getting my first wrap sometime this week, just in time for the babywearing celebrations. Am I a lucky girl or what?



This is a Peruvian manta that my boss brought me recently. This picture was taken last week, so even though my son is now a very independent 16 month old, he still likes to be carried by mommy.


So, yes, I have caught the baby carrier bug. There are some beautiful carriers out there, all kinds of different features. The most amazing thing about babywearing is not the fancy carrier, it is about having my baby close to me in a comfortable, healthy position for him and for me too.

Babywearing has been more than helpful, it has been a sanity saver, and I have no doubt that it has helped to forge that parent to child bond because our kiddo feels secure next to us while we out and about having adventures.




No comments:

Post a Comment