About Me

My photo
I just turned 30, I feel all wise and old now.

Popular Posts

Pageviews last month

Powered by Blogger.

Monday, December 5, 2011

6 months already?

I cannot believe that it has been 6 months since my baby boy decided that he was ready to join us on this Earth. He was born the day that I was supposed to be induced. I like that about him, he came in his own time, but decided to still make it suspenseful while being nice to me.
Since before he was born I decided that I would do things a certain way. I know most new parents are foolish enough to say "My child will never do... fill in the blank". I know that we all start with the best of intentions and perhaps our self confidence wavers so we change our mind half way through.
I decided before he was born that I would really like to deliver naturally or as naturally as I could. I was born with hip dysplasia and had to have a few surgeries to correct the problem so delivering through a c-section was a very real possibility.
I was lucky enough to have great doctors who were on board with what I wanted and made it possible by providing what I needed. I had to have an epidural that was a bit different to the one that completely makes you forget that you have lower extremities. Because I wasn't sure that I would be able to handle the nurses manipulating my legs in a crazy way, I opted for a milder version of the epidural. This one allowed me to push a button if I was having a particularly painful contraction. It was nice! I was able to catch some zzz's before Iker made his grand entrance (or is it grand exit?). It was a 12 hour long labor, but I was only at the hospital for about 7 of those hours. Not bad at all.
The first few days were really hard for my boobs. I really wished I had that epidural magic button again, I know that I was told it would hurt, but I had no idea! I seriously thought that my child was part piranha! Ridiculous!
To make matters worse, my milk didn't show up until 4 or 5 days later. I thought about giving up so many times, thank goodness for such a great support system, my mother in law and sister in law cheered me up while I was throwing in the towel, my sweet husband would help me by reminding me of the advice that our lactation consultant gave us at the hospital, even my friends Liz W. and Mighty A. helped by giving me encouragement, magic potions to help with the milk and by giving me a supersonic pump.
I know that this child is so blessed because of this very support system that helped me in the beginning and continues to strengthen me day by day.
Motherhood has treated me kindly. I have been very blessed with a healthy baby boy and I really cannot believe that he will be 6 months tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment